Saturday, December 30, 2023

Finding treasures


Dear blog,

My dove just flew from the top of my laptop, left a feather, and then went to the lamp, and is sitting there so peacefully.

I just got a jacket on, as it is chilly in my room, and sticking my arms out of the covers to write is cold.

Yesterday, we had nine extra kids, from two families, of various ages, and four or five more adults all crammed into our house. Bess and I spent most of that time, outside with the kids.

We have five new baby goats, and kids had fun feeding all the goats treats, and helping us milk the moms.

Though, I did leave two kids milking one goat, because it gets very tedious watching new people milking milking goats, especially if you've already been doing it for a long time.

Five or ten minutes later I hear Acacia call out of help, only to find the goat had torn apart the milk stand, and it lay in pieces.

I was just glad the kids were okay. Acacia was actually the older kid that came on the scene, so I'm glad she was there.

Sheesh.

I had only been gone for a short while.

I guess the goat got stresses out. I still don’t quite understand how it happened. Only that one piece of the milk stand lay where it was, and the part where we lock the head in, lay right by the loader.

And the kids, with big eyes, pointing.

Oh my…

We also had a goat escape, and Bess led an expedition to retrieve said, goat, but it evaded escape several times, and flew over one of the kid’s arms, and sailed over a ditch. Clearing a lot of footage.

I was by the milk stand---before it was in pieces. And heard Bess and her helpers laughing hysterically, because of the flying goat.

I surmised, that I need to tell santa I have a bunch of reindeer in training for him, as three of them can fly.

Bess also brought a card game out to our beachfront, and had one of the kids playing matching game in the sun.

Two kids kept on searching for treasures around our house, as we do have a lot of odds and ends. Kippen (not his real name, but a name he gave himself and it stuck) found someone’s old slingshot, and old melted golf ball, a cute glass tile, and several other things.

We told him to keep the treasures, and he beamed, and jumped for joy.

My niece thought this was a great idea, and she began looking for treasures and found an egg made out of stone.

This was my sister’s she’d left outside, and she told my niece to keep it.

She was thrilled.

Then my other little nephew found some sea-shells, and they all had fun finding old items. Over years we always put stuff we wanted the kids to find under the trampoline because it’s really nice when you’re cleaning, and you find good stuff, but no longer want to store it. We know that eventually our nieces and nephews will find it, and take it home, with glad hearts.

Our little nephew, not so little, because he’s grown so tall, found two handfuls of gravel and asked if he could keep it. Bess and I inspected the rocks, and giggled, because they were very ordinary rocks. But he loved them, and he ran to catch up with his siblings heading to the park, toting his rocks.

                All in all, it was a warm enough day that the kids and the adults each had enough room to voom in their own directions. So it was nice for Bess and I because we could float in and out of where we needed to be, without staying too much in any one place for too long if it got stuffy.

                We eventually followed the kids to the park, and we ended up spinning, and sliding, swinging, and my brother came to pick up his kids, ended up spinning too. Though he was much braver than myself, and stayed on for the duration, as his kids spun him around. I can’t stand those spin rides for long, especially after eating pizza.

I also I ran into a neighbor that hadn’t answered the door on Christmas eve. I had part of his gift at my house, so Bess and I biked back, and gave it to him. That was quite satisfying as that neighbor is one who is always bringing us something all the time. And I wanted to give something back.

                We ended the day with a nice bike ride, and feeding our goats in the moonshine, as we had taken so long taking care of our animals, with the kids, we put off feeding them until later.

Much later. 

All in all, it was a good day. 

The kids found treasures. 

The adults had fun talking.

And Bess and I got to be in the sun most of the day.

                               

               

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate this blog