Sunday, December 25, 2022

Silent night

 Merry Christmas!!!!! I hope you all have a beautiful day. There was an online koto music sharing event, and I said I would get some music recorded for it. I wasn't sure if was really going to happen. As we only had a small window of time to do it in, and I am still very much a beginning koto player. We did several songs in one evening this week. It was a rare thing for us, as the house was quiet. And we haven't attempted to record any music in a long time. The phone didn't ring, or anything. So it really was a silent night. We recorded several songs, imperfections and all. I'm just learning koto, so Bess had to be patient with me. Some videos I swear you can see my thinking. This is Silent night on the Japanese koto, with Bessie Skeem playing her violin, and both of us singing.

 

 
 
 
This one is We wish you a Merry Christmas. Short and sweet.



 
                                                This one is I Saw Three Ships. Totally improvised, and very clunky, and I don't know why I'm sharing this one, as I had zero idea how to play the tune, as you will soon see. Bess is so good at the violin she's always the one to make me experiment. Oh my...


                                                       Here's another one, Jingle bells. Bess is doing her magic on the violin, and I'm playing koto, just imagine Christmas on the a farm. And it seems about right.

 


                                                       

                                    This just a random bonus song. As we were recording, I decided to enlist my mom who plays the bodhrán, (she didn't want to be on camera) and since we were feeling the Christmas spirit, we decided to do keep the camera rolling while we improvised. Bessie is on the violin, doing her magic, and I'm on the jingle bells, and the mountain dulcimer. You can see my other koto in the video, a half size koto that I bought from Japan, that I painted a Japanese Crane on. It's still a work in progress.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate this blog