Then I decided that I'd try a flat heeled Vibram New balance shoe, that had the nice Vibram insole, with no heel, and no weird looking to compartments.
These shoes were the second best shoes I've ever worn. I used them until they wore out.
I'm a size 8 1/2 which would translate into a size 40 or 41 depending which style you choose. I also sometimes wear the men's vibrams which also translates into a size 41. If you go to this sizing chart for vibrams, you're more likely to get the right shoe size when you buy them online. Here's the website it will really help you when buying vibrams: http://www.craigsshoestore.com/service/vibram-fivefingers-sizing/
With these newer Vibrams it's a breeze. It is a little different than putting on normal shoes at first, but after while, it becomes second nature. I don't even think about it now.
good feeling to have.
The second thing I noticed when wearing them were the fantastic textures of the ground. They felt delicious on my feet. I found great pleasure walking in soft earth, sand, and even firm mud. Wearing them made me feel like a kid again. I found myself going out of my way to step on new surfaces just to feel the texture beneath my feet. The shoes have wonderful grip, and being able to use my toes to dig into the ground as I hiked up mountains gave me great stability to climb up steep hills.
One of my favorite pleasures when wearing these shoes is to walk through a dry stream beds, hopping from rock to rock.
- I'm amazed how soft they feel for having zero padding.
- 5. They feel especially wonderful when walking on sandy earth.
- 6. They have great traction, so long as they aren't worn out.
- 7. They build new muscles in your feet and legs.
- 8. They help you have better balance.
- 9. They make you feel more confidant.
- 10. They are great for running. But not a total cure for knee pain. But they do help, lessen the stress on your knees especially when hiking.
- 11. They are super bendy, and nave a wonderful flat heel.
- 12. They work great as water shoes.
- 13. They can easily be tossed in the wash if they get dirty or stinky.
- 14. They let your foot bend in is natural range of motion, giving you more freedom and agility.
- 15. These shoes the best conversation starters around, everywhere I went, people would look at my funny shoes, and ask me about them. And because I love these shoes I have no problem talking about them.
- 16. (This is a pro-con) The shoes are so light, and comfy you'll feel very sad when you have to wear regular shoes. The other day, I was hiking where there were lots and lots of little cactus patches growing everywhere on the ground, so I decided to switch to thicker hiking shoes, because I ran into some cactus the previous week in my vibrams, and the spines went through my shoe---probably more so than they normally would have because the soles are very worn, and I need to buy a new pair.
- 17. They are slick to slick off.
- 18. They help you lose weight. How could shoes make you lose weight you might ask? Well, I'll tell you, they make you want to get up and dance. They make you want to move more. And because you move more you'll burn more calories.
- 19. Their heels aren't thick, but they are tough, and will last you quite a while--depending on what kind of terrain you're walking on, and how much you use them.
- 20. Some people who have diabetes, and are trying to get better circulation their feet also find vibrams their shoe of choice.
- 21. Overall, I just love these shoes!
- 1. They can make your feet and legs sore at first, especially if you have been wearing padded, thick-soled shoes. The longer you've been wearing hard-stiff shoes, the longer I think it will take for you to get used to vibrams, which have a very thin sole, and pretty much zero padding. These shoes will give you a work out in muscles you may have never worked before. So start out slow with these shoes, maybe wear them a few hours at a time. Also they also don't really have any arch supports, because these shoes are supposed to help you build the muscles in your arches naturally.
- 2. If you don't wear socks along with these shoes, they can be the most slinkiest, sweatiest, smelliest, shoes you've ever owned. My sister went bare toed in them because she didn't want to fork out the money for toe socks. And let me tell your right now, buy the socks! We found some pretty good prices for toe socks on ebay, and I'm telling you, it'll save your shoes, and your feet from smellage, and your ego from having people think you smell like the garbage been.
- 3. You also have to be more aware of where your foot is placed when wearing these shoes, because normal shoes don't bend when you step on rocks. So you have to build up new muscles, and be careful with your ankles because your foot has to learn to respond differently than what your used to, so you don't roll your ankle.
- 4. One of the worst hazards of these shoes is the fact that it's very easy to trap cords and various objects unawares between your toes. I've been hiking and come home with lots of weeds, and leaves protruding from between my toes. You can catch your toes on roots, and weird random objects. I remember sitting at my computer, and nearly pulling the laptop to the floor because my toes caught the cord between them.
- 5. These shoes are great for some types of hiking, but if you're going to be on boulders that shift and move, your feet will be in danger of being crushed by rocks. I know because I've nearly had my tooties mashed. Note that the top of the shoe is pretty much cloth, so it's not ideal for real foot protection especially in dangerous environments, where there are snakes, or if you're going to be lifting heavy objects.
- 6. This particular brand of Vibram shoe will freeze your feet in cold, rainy, snowy weather, especially if you live in colder climates. I've worn these in all types of weather, and can attest to the sad fact that while wearing these shoes, that if the ground is cold, your feet will probably be cold. I'm really wanting to find an affordable pair of vibrams that work for winter wear, that don't get water logged, or freeze your tootsies off.
7. They will wear out, just like
any shoe especially if you're Wearing them when they are worn out means they won't function like they should, they heel will peel away from the toe. And their soft skin on top makes them prone to puncture, including the sides of the toe capsules. So if you're walking in sticky terrain, beware. I've ripped holes in several of my toe holes on rough sticks.wearing them every day. And when they're worn out, you must take note that their traction goes down. And when they're worn out, you should buy a new pair. The pictured pair have been greatly worn, and used by me for a long time. So I actually think they are in pretty good condition considering where I've taken them.
- 8. They are shoes you must use with smarts, know what you're going to be doing when you're wearing them. If you're going to be standing on a hard, cement surface for hours on end, I'd recommend buying yourself a good pair of Birkenstocks that have good support for your feet and arches especially when standing for long hours. Vibrams were made to be used in the outdoors on soft ground, to help give support for your feet. Your feet will scream at you if you wear them when standing stationary for long periods of time on hard, man-made surfaces.This I also can attest to.
Because I've worn them past their expiration date, It's hard to really tell when you'll actually have to buy yourselves a new pair once your old pair wears out. My guesstimate is that six months to a year is how long they will last, depending on how much you use them. I'm pretty hard on my shoes.
Good things have to be renewed. Always.
(Post update) After shopping around I'm happy to report that there are various vibrams specifically designed for hiking and other sports, you just have to refine your search.
Winter-ish lookingvibrams http://www.6pm.com/vibram-fivefingers-lontra-grey-pink-black?zhlfid=139&kpid=30090013
And just another useful looking buying guide. You should also be aware there are a lot of knock offs that are not real vibrams. http://www.builtlean.com/vibram-five-fingers/http://www.builtlean.com/vibram-five-fingers/
Suffice it to say, I really think these shoes will make your feet Happy!